everything about your dogs

Play Therapy

Dogs need to play! Never, ever forget that. When I meet with new dog owners they are focused on the problems with their dogs. They have absolutely no relationship with the dog and the dog actually has to initiate play with them. When the dog starts play, the average owner is annoyed since it's usually not when they want to. The solution? You, the owner initiate and control play. No matter how many dogs you have, play is crucial to your relationship. During play you can work on basic commands and even advanced handling. Always start and stop play frequently in your interactions with your dog. Play for about a minute, then stop, leash your dog, sit and wait for your dog to relax. One relaxed, count to 30 and start play with "Let's Play!". Repeat this 8-10 times and in the span of just 15 minutes your dog will be both mentally and physically exhausted. I run this same game at Wayside Waif (www.waysidewaifs.org) with 5-8 dogs at a time. By the time I'm done I can control a strange pack of dogs like I've known them all my life. I don't have to do any Dog Whisperer crap, no correction collars, and no- very few food rewards. I simply control play. Get more cool tips off my website www.gilbertsdogtraining.com

Need an Akita in your life? www.akitas.org. Tell them the KCDogGuy sent you!

Two Paws Up!


EmoticonEmoticon