everything about your dogs

Ezmerelda the Bearded Dragon!

So this doesn't have anything to do with dogs, but I just had to share about my new bearded dragon named Ezmerelda that I got myself for Christmas! She's a Kandy bearded dragon that becomes very orange with purple markings as she gets older. Right now she's about four months old and 8 inches long and she can get up to 2 feet long when she's full grown. Beardies are such great reptiles because they're so mellow, friendly and they have a lot of personality. Compared to some of the other reptiles that I've had over my lifetime, Ezmerelda has the most personality and seems to enjoy being handled. She eats butternut squash from my hand and eats crickets like there's no tomorrow. I've been doing a lot of research on these little guys and there's some really cute stories about other people's beardies playing with balls, sleeping rolled up in a blanket, enjoying baths and cuddling up with their owners. Whoever thought that there are reptiles out there that like to be handled? I love my blue bar ambilobe panther chameleons, Aphrodite and Archimedes, but they're a lot more fragile and can stress out easily if they are handled a lot. They're a lot of fun to look at and watch their colors change. With beardies, the enthusiasts say that you have to handle them everyday and they begin to expect it and will scratch on the side of their cage till you come over to pick them up. So far, Ezmerelda is awesome and I'm so excited to learn new things about the bearded dragons. I'm going to see if reptiles can be clicker trained! She eats squash from my hand and she's sensitive to noise, so maybe it's possible! If you've ever had any experience with them or have some tips for me, please feel free to comment! : )







EmoticonEmoticon