everything about your dogs

Bringing Home a New Dog

A new foster dog came home with me today. Mick, he is a Blue Heeler mix and is a recent graduate of the dog/inmate program here in Idaho. Mick will have a home soon, but because he is SO smart and energetic he can only go to a home that will match his wit and energy. Until that home becomes available he is staying with my family, so it is the perfect time to practice good introduction habits.
Introducing a new dog to an already busy pack is not always easy. There are some important things to remember. When I brought Mick home I did not take him right into the house and let him explore, as so many people do. This would have been a big mistake. It would give Mick the wrong message and set us all up for headaches. Here is the proper way to introduce a new dog...

First we went on a long walk to drain his energy and make things go more smoothly. On the walk I did not let him lead or pull. This is a bonding exercise that shows the dog you are the leader. This way they know right off that they are follower in this new pack.
After a brisk walk Mick and I met my husband, children, and 2 year old Border Collie at a park close to our home. This is a perfect greeting place. Both dogs are on neutral territory and can greet properly. I had to correct Mick one time when he growled at our dog. After that they were getting along fine so we all walked home together as a pack. This is very important. It tells the new dog what is expected, and the old dog that you are in control at that this new comer is welcome in your pack.
When we got home only our dog got to go in off leash. Mick had to wait until each member of the family, or pack, as he saw it, was through the door. Then I invited Mick in, still on a leash. I allowed him to sniff one area at a time and only with my permission. This is not new to a dog, it's nature. The new pack member must always respect the packs territory, it creates harmony and balance.
When it was time to meet the cats I made sure Mick respected me and was responding to my authority first. Never allow a dog to meet a pray animal off leash. Mick had an intense stare of the cats, which is not what you want to see. Staring could mean trouble or an attack.
When he focused on the cat I would correct him with the leash. This let him know the cats were mine and off limit to him. Because he is so smart and motivated it was not easy, I had to keep correcting until he submitted (by ignoring the cats). Mick will be a great pet for someone soon and he is learning good house manners with my family.

*Remember to be in control from the moment you invite the new dog in. Save the loves and cuddles until you have gained respect and trust. This will ensure a smooth transition and set up the boundaries for a healthy, happy life together!*


EmoticonEmoticon