everything about your dogs

Success!

Seven weeks ago I groomed a new customer.
She was a malti-poo.
Her owner had been bathing her.
Without brushing her first.
"She doesn't like to be brushed," her owner said.

She was now a pelted coat of mat.


I did not need to feel her, you could tell how badly matted she was just by looking at her.
Thankfully her owner understood that she was very matted too.
I gave her my usual talk.
I told her that her dog had to be shaved.
I used the word shaved so that there is no misunderstanding about what I had to do.

 

I explained to the owner that we would shave all of the mats off and start all over again.
I put her straight into the tub.


I used Best Shot and Best Shot creme rinse to try to help loosen the mats a little.

This is 'Kaiko after the bath and blow dry.


I was able to loosen the mats away from her skin enough to get a #5f blade through her.


Her face and the top of her head where so tightly matted that I was not able to save them and had to use the #5f on them also.


It is not very often when I have to shave a head.
Her Mom had been bathing her often.


'Kaiko' did pretty good.
Her Mom was right when she said that 'Kaiko' did not like being brushed or having her legs fooled with.

When 'Kaiko's' Mom came back to pick her up, we talked about how to get her to accept the brush.
We also talked about not bathing her with the mats in her.
Her Mom said that she wanted to get 'Kaiko' groomed regularly so that this would not happen again.

How many times have we heard that, and never saw the dog again till it was matted... again.
'Kaiko's' owner made an appointment for the next time before she left.

I can't tell you how many  times owners of matted dogs make another appointment, then when you call them to remind them about their appointment, they say the dog is still short and they cancel the appointment.

I figured it was a 50/50 chance of seeing 'Kaiko' again in 7 weeks.

Success!, 'Kaiko' showed up for her appointment today.
Her Mom brought her in for a Bath and neaten.
She only had one little mat in her ear.
Her Mom is working on getting her used to brushing.


'Kaiko' is slowly starting to grow out.

I hope that 'Kaiko' stays a success story.
It feels good when an owner actually listens to you and takes your advice.

'Kaiko's' Mom made another appointment before she left.
Happy grooming, MFF











EmoticonEmoticon