everything about your dogs

Tuesdays Tip #5

I had a client about 7 years ago start bringing in a little sandwich bag of Baking Soda for each groom.
This owner is very allergic to a lot of things, so her dog only gets a Hypo Allergenic Shampoo and no cologne.
The owners Holistic Vet told the owner to bring us Baking Soda to use on her dog.

I have to say, the first time I used the Baking Soda I was amazed at how soft it left the dog.
I now use Baking Soda on almost every dog I bathe.




 Baking Soda can be used a few different ways.

How to mix it:
 I use a cleaned out shampoo gallon jug to make up the Baking Soda Mix.

I fill the gallon jug up with warm water.






I put two tablespoons of Baking Soda in to the bottle of warm water.





 It does not have to be an exact measurement.

Turn the bottle upside down and shake to mix.

I used a drill bit to drill 5 to 7 holes in the lid of the shampoo bottle.
The number of holes depends on the size of the holes you make.

First Tip:

Baking Soda is great to use on large hairy dogs that take a long time to rinse.

After you finish shampooing and before you start rinsing, mix up a fresh batch of Baking Soda.
Pour the Baking Soda, generously, all over the dog, on top of the shampoo.
The Baking Soda helps break down the shampoo and it rinses out much faster.


 Second Tip:

After you have used creme rinse on the dog, pour Baking Soda all over the dog and do another quick rinse.
I have found that the Baking Soda keeps a creme rinsed from taking forever to dry.

Third Tip:

If you have a dog that you do not like to creme rinse because they always seem to come out greasy, mix up the Baking Soda and pour generously all over the dog after all of the shampoo has been rinsed.

DO NOT RINSE BAKING SODA OFF.

Towel dry as usual.
I think you will be amazed at how fluffy and soft the dog is.

I like using Baking Soda on Poodles that have a very thick curly coat.

It helps with drying time and helps straighten the curl for scissoring.

Do Not get the Baking Soda Mix in the eyes.

I do not use the Backing Soda on any heads.
I don't want to take a chance that they will turn their head at the wrong moment.





This is 'Ashley' after her blow dry.
She has a very thick curly coat.
I creme rinsed her and then soaked her with the Baking Soda Mix.
I rinsed the Baking Soda off.

It took me 30 minutes to completely HV dry her from the tub.






I hope that this Tip helps make some of your grooming easier.

Happy Grooming, MFF

  


EmoticonEmoticon