everything about your dogs

Stinky Dog? 5 Natural Ways to Keep Your Dog Clean Between Baths!

*Brush Them on a Regular Basis

Brushing will help to remove dirt, allergens and dander from your fur baby’s coat. It will keep your dog feeling good and you won’t have to breathe in or touch all that gunk! Not only will it help to keep them clean, it is a wonderful way to give them some one-on-one time and do some bonding.

Regular brushing could mean anything from everyday to once a week. I base it on how much hair and gunk is coming off my dog. If there is not much then I will wait a few days in between brushing. My dogs get so excited when I grab a brush; they really enjoy it!

There are 2 brushes that we use and love! One is an undercoat/ Deshedding Brush pictured and the classic 2-in-1 or 2 Sided Brush. We use the 2 Sided Brush for everyday brushing and the Deshedding Brush when there is a lot of shedding or in combination with the other brush before a bath.

*Wash Your Dog’s Bedding

We have several dog beds because we have 3 dogs. They come with covers you can remove and wash. This is convenient. They are easy to get off BUT after washing and drying them, it’s like wrestling kittens into a bath to get the cover back on. It becomes more difficult when you have 1-3 dogs trying to help with the task!

My solution is to use smaller blankets or twin flat sheets folded in half to cover the beds. I have several blankets and sheets so that when I gather them up to wash, I can replace them without having to wait for them to wash and dry. The easier I can make a process, the more likely I am to follow through with it!
Remember to check with family, friends and your local thrift or second hand store if you are in need of extra sheets and blankets!

With a puppy just joining our family, this tactic has proved to be even more of a blessing than I had originally thought! Can anyone say #pottyaccidents? I am happy to report that Percy the pup is doing great with the potty training! No accident in 2 weeks! 

This is our favorite dog bed. It is not cheap so we have one and it is very popular! The others we have are from local pet stores or bulk stores.

*Provide Your Dog With Some Fruits and Vegetables to Cut Down on Bad Breath

There are several fruits and vegetables that will help to clean teeth, gums and freshen breath. The 2 we feed our dogs most often are carrots and apples. Not only can incorporating fruits and veggies into their diet help with a stinky mouth, they also naturally contain essential vitamins and minerals.

You can add bits of fruit and veggies to their dry food or feed it as a snack. We feed it as a snack and when training as a treat.

BONUS:
Here is a recipe for a “Bad Breath Busting Biscuit For Your Dog (Grain Free)” from my friend Sherri at Overthrow Martha!


*Clean Your Dog’s Ears

We don’t clean their ears on a very regular basis. They do a pretty good job themselves. If I find they need help, I take a paper towel or thin cloth and wind it around my finger and add warm water. I squeeze it out and then lightly clean the more outer part of the ear.  If there is a lot of debris or wax or if it looks like there are ear mites then I recommend getting to the Vet right away to see the best way to help your pup.

My Theia girl used to get yeast infections in her ears quite often. She no longer gets them because we worked with our Vet to clear the few infections she got and we changed her diet. Whole Milk Plain Organic Yogurt given as a snack 2-3x a week was super helpful in kicking those ear problems to the curb. #probiotics

*Give Them Sponge Baths

I make a spray that I can use on my dogs in between baths. It smells terrific, gets rid of that, "What the heck did you roll around in?" dog smell, keeps their skin feeling great and let me tell you their coats are so shiny and look healthy as could be! Plus they like it so much. Mine will lift their paws and lay down to help me clean them!

When the seasons change and the dogs are walking back inside with pollen, dust and all kinds of other stuff on their coat, this spray is a lifesaver!

Spray Bath

Ingredients
-32oz glass bottle (I recycle a Braggs Vinegar bottle for this recipe)
-Enough filtered/good water to fill rest of bottle (about 28oz)
-Label if you wish

Directions
Add Vinegar to the bottle using a small funnel to prevent a mess or live dangerously and forget the funnel. Next add your essential oils and top it off with the water. Now slap a label on it and shake it up!
You can play with the essential oils as far as how many drops of each or research your specific goal for your dog and try other essential oils. I have used Frankincense, Lemon and Thieves essential oils in other variations of this recipe but this is the one I come back to and make most often!

TIP: If you only have the Premium Starter Kit at this point, go ahead and sub Frankincense for the Cedarwood!

How I use it with my dogs:
The essential oils will pool on top so give the bottle a shake each time you use it. I use this 3-7x a week just depending on how active the pups are and what they are getting into. As it is Spring/Summer, it is almost a daily occurrence. I take either a washcloth or a large paper towel; I fold it in fourths and get it wet. Then I spray one side of it 6-8 times. 

It's just as easy as wiping your dog down. Make sure to get their necks, armpits, around their gentleman or lady parts and wipe down their paws as well. That is a quicker wipe down but you could repeat the process or clean half of them and then rinse out your washcloth, ring out and spray it again to clean the other half of your pupper.

I have used this solution on my big dogs that weigh about 90lbs and on my puppy that was under 20lbs when we got him. You can certainly cut the essential oils in half or do less sprays etc. on smaller dogs.

TIP: I find my puppy sleeps better (this means we sleep better) if he gets a spray bath right before bed! 

What are your favorite ways to keep your pets smelling fresh and clean in between baths? I would love to hear your hints and tips!

If you can't wait to order your Premium Starter Kit, click here you hippie!

If you want to learn all about essential oils and read about my journey before you take the plunge, click here.


Thanks for stopping by! If you have questions or comments let me know below or you can email me at dsomersyl@gmail.com


EmoticonEmoticon