everything about your dogs

Rough Cuts

I love to watch the grooming competitions at Hershey every year.
I watch a lot of the groomers use clip combs to take off the excess hair before they start to scissor.
Some go over and over and over the dog till they can't get anymore hair off.
If you watch closely they are changing comb sizes depending on where they are clipping.
One length for the rear, one for the chest, one for the sides.
Then they start to scissor.



That just seems like too much extra work to me.

I don't spend a lot of time with the clippers.
I just get the excess hair off and then start scissoring.

I love to scissor.






Sometimes I don't even use the clipper first.
I just scissor the entire dog from start to finish.



 Of course, I am not doing a true Bichon cut.
I am doing the pet cut.

My rough-ins look pretty messy.
If I were another groomer watching me, I would probably think, 'how is she going to fix that mess?'






 

My daughter most likely thinks that, because her clipper work is always very neat.
She always gets as much as she can off with the clipper, which leaves her less to scissor.
She has excellent scissor skills.



I guess I just like to scissor.
My rough-ins have always been messy and will most likely always be messy.

I love the transformation that I can do with the scissors.

I am left handed, but grooming school did not have any left handed shears, so to keep up with everyone else, I started scissoring with my right hand.




I have always wondered what my scissor work would look like if I scissored with my left hand.

I bought left handed scissors after I had been grooming for a few years and tried to teach myself to scissor with my left hand.

I couldn't do it.
I felt like I was back in grooming school all over again.
I gave up.

I still envision myself sometimes standing at my table with scissors in both hands scissoring away on two legs at one time. :)

Happy Grooming, MFF


EmoticonEmoticon