everything about your dogs

Granola is the Business!

I could eat granola for every single meal. It is hearty, crunchy, sweet and a touch salty.
I rarely eat oatmeal because when we were super broke and I was just starting my career in banking, we would buy those packets of oatmeal that you add hot water to or microwave. I ate those everyday for almost 3 years only taking the weekends off. As you can imagine, my fondness of oatmeal faded quickly plus it wasn’t good quality and lacked real flavor.

granola parfaits easy recipe real food whole food
I wanted to continue to eat oatmeal since it can help lower blood pressure, is good for the heart in general, stabilizes blood sugar, promotes good sleep among other things.

The only way I will eat oatmeal now is if my boyfriend makes it for me using organic oats and organic milk with a touch of honey. I cannot duplicate his process and since he works long hours, it is rare that I ask him to make it. I think he adds an extra pinch of love. AWWW!

The question was, how could I get oatmeal into my diet without making it into hot cereal?
Could granola be the answer? 

YES it is! I always liked granola okay but it is hard to find a good quality organic one that does not cost an arm and a leg. “How much?” “Oh ok, here is my arm and leg!” I thought cooking granola might be difficult but it turns out it is so easy. I went hunting for a recipe and here is what I came up with:

Easy Homemade Granola

Big Batch

Ingredients:
-4 cups organic rolled oats (not quick or 1 min oats)
-2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
-7 TBLS olive oil
-1/2 cup raw honey
-1/2 cup organic maple syrup
-1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
*Optional
-1/2 cup slivered or chopped almonds or whatever nut you prefer
-1/2 cup regular raisins or other dried fruit

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

#granola easy recipe real food whole food heart health blood pressure

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper if you have it. If not coat bottom with olive oil. In a large bowl, toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt. In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix with a large spoon until completely combined. You can use any combination of honey and maple syrup as long as it equals a cup. I often just use local, raw, unfiltered honey.

Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them. Gather up some of the mixture in each hand and make a fist balling the mixture together.  Repeat until all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture.

Pour the mixture onto the greased cookie sheet. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.


Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the almonds or other nuts evenly over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.

Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from the oven and use your spatula to lift and flip the granola. Return the baking sheet to the oven.

Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven. Let cool completely. It will not feel firm at first but do not return it to the oven or it may burn. It may take up to an hour to cool and harden.

Sprinkle the raisins and any other dried fruit over the granola.

Use as cereal, make yogurt parfaits or sprinkle on ice cream.

I would love to know your granola recipe or if you tried my recipe, let me know how you liked it!



EmoticonEmoticon