everything about your dogs

Love a Good Veggie Sandwich

veggie sandwich vegetarian pickle tomato bread mayo cucumber onionMy grandmother was a Vegetarian. She also looked a lot like George Burns but that my friends is another story. She opened up my eyes to the possibility of veggies playing the starring role in a dish. Enter pickle and tomato sandwiches with gobs of mayo. If you wanted a sandwich in her house (really a mobile home in a senior park in Sunny Florida) it was going to be vegetable central and pickle and tomato was her favorite and quickly became mine as well.


We were recently visiting family and they served veggie sandwiches for lunch, which reminded me how much I love veggies between 2 slices of bread.


Now that I am older and fancier, I tend to make a veggie sandwich with more than your basic pickle and tomato. But if I am in hurry or a pickle, if you will, I go back to the original.

Here is my recipe for a perfect veggie sandwich:
-2 slices of a good bread like Dave’s Killer Bread (we love Powerseed)
-8 thinly slices cucumber
-1 pickle thinly sliced
-4 good slices tomato (salt and pepper sprinkled over one side)
-2 thin slices of onion (red or white)
-1 TBLS of mayo

real food whole food veggie sandwich tomato pickle
Put the sandwich together as a human would and chow down while thinking about how you don’t miss the meat. “Why is this so satisfying?”

I try to use organic everything but sometimes prices don’t work out or I can’t find something I need that is organic. Use what you’ve got because I promise a veggie sandwich not made with organic ingredients will almost always be better for you than a meal out. Veggie sandwiches are real whole food you can feel great about eating and serving the kiddos.

You eat veggie sandwiches? What do you put on yours?


EmoticonEmoticon