everything about your dogs

DIY: Chest Rub & Spray

Fine! I hear you! Here are my Chest Rub & Spray Recipes! These seem to be my most sought after DIY recipes so here they are!

You ever buy a chest rub at the store and use it for Respiratory Support? I know you said yes! I did too and why not? That’s what you do, go to the store and grab that jar of goo and rub it on your chest like the commercial says. Then you lie there and imagine the wavy lines of vapors drifting up toward your nose right? 

chest rub, diy chest rub, young living, essential oils, respiratory support, lungs, chest spray, non toxic, chemical free
Now that I am more knowledgeable about essential oils and just non-toxic ways to support my body, the chest rub and spray recipes were a simple way to replace that store bought stuff. When my step daughter needed some Respiratory Support during a short period this winter, it felt awesome to be able to hand her these DIY versions using essential oils instead of a jar of goo with ingredients I can’t pronounce.

If you want to check out any of your store bought products to see just how harmful they are, visit the Environmental Working Group website here. You can check all kinds of products from cleaning to beauty products. 

How I chose the essential oils for my recipes:
I have a third party reference guide that lists all of the Young Living essential oils & blends so when I am making any DIY it is a great resource. In the back it will tell you the systems each essential oil or blend supports. So one might support one system or multiple systems. In the case of Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) supports the Respiratory and Immune Systems. These are the 2 areas I wanted to focus on for my DIY Chest Rub and Spray so I decided any oil I used should support at least 1 if not both of them.

What carrier oils are good for what type of skin & How I chose my carrier oil:
You can use any carrier oil you like.

-Oily Skin: Sunflower, Jojoba & Grapeseed
-Dry Skin: Avacado, Rosehip & Olive
-Sensitive Skin: Sesame Seed, Sweet Almond & Jojoba
-Mature Skin: Apricot, Rosehip, Sweet Almond & Jojoba

*Note: For these recipes if you choose Coconut oil, make sure it is fractionated so that it is the liquid form. Regular Coconut Oil is solid at room temp.

I chose Olive Oil because my whole body likes it. I do not break out or get overly oily with it. I can break out if I use Coconut Oil on my face, neck or scalp. After you mess around with oils for a little while it will become clear what oils your body loves!

Why use a carrier oil for these recipes?
We should be diluting our essential oils according to what it says on the bottle or more. But in this case we also want to create time-release action. If we just slap the essential oil on our skin then it soaks in and is used by our body very quickly. By using a carrier oil, we allow our bodies to reap the benefits and support of the essential oil longer! Also it will allow you to cover more of your skin by stretching it. Cool right?

Want to learn more about carrier oils? My sweet friend Lindsay who runs the blog Ask Oily has an entire post about it and you can check it out here!

Simple Chest Rub

Gather together:
-5 dropper fulls of Olive Oil or carrier oil of choice
-Label and a sharpie if you want to slap a label on it

Directions:
Put the Olive oil or carrier oil of choice and Essential Oils in your empty glass dropper bottle. Put the top on and roll or shake it around a little to make sure the mixture is well blended. Label it if you like. I use 5 drops in the morning and 5 before bed. I rub it all over my chest and neck area. Don't waste what is in your hands after. Cup your hands around your nose and mouth and take several deep breaths to get all the benefits possible from the essential oils. You will need to play around with it to see what works for you. Maybe you need less or more drops. Maybe you need to add another essential oil or cut one out completely. Maybe you need to use more carrier oil.

Simple Chest Spray

Gather together:
-1 dropper full of Olive Oil or carrier oil of choice
-About 2oz of water
-Label and a sharpie if you want to slap a label on it

Directions:
Put the Olive Oil or carrier oil of choice and essential oils in the empty spray bottle. Add the water and put on the top. Shake, shake, shake! Make sure to shake before each use as well. I use 4-5 sprays of this each morning and right before bed rubbing it over my chest and neck area. Don't waste what is in your hands after. Cup your hands around your nose and mouth and take several deep breaths to get all the benefits possible from the essential oils. Remember not to give up right away if a DIY you make didn’t work right away, switch up the amounts of ingredients or change them.

IMPORTANT: If you want to make a chest rub or any other DIY for a baby or small child, please go check out my friend Kirsten’s post here that's all about how to go toxin free with baby! She is a wiz in the kid department!

Watch me make the DIY: Chest Rub & Spray here:


If you can't wait to learn more about the wonders of essential oils click here you hippie!

Thanks for checking out my recipes! If you have questions or comments let me know below or you can email me at dsomersyl@gmail.com







EmoticonEmoticon