everything about your dogs

Mohawk

I have had a few owners over the years ask me to give their dogs a mo-hawk.
Sometimes it looks good, sometimes the hair is just not right for a good mo-hawk.

This is 'Kipley'.
I have been giving him a mo-hawk for years.


Then last year his owner saw me at a Pet Expo here in Maryland, with my Standard Poodle, 'Hanna'.
I had cut a flower design into 'Hanna's' hip and colored it to draw attention to my booth.







I used childrens Blow Pens to put the color on 'Hanna'.

(These pictures were 3 days after I had colored her.)







When 'Kipley's' owner saw 'Hanna', she got all excited and wanted to know if I would color her dog.






 I don't really offer this service in my shop because of all of the controversy surrounding coloring
dogs.
Coloring my own dog is one thing, coloring a customers dog is a whole nother bag of worms that I was not sure I wanted to get involved with.

'Kipley's' owner wanted his mo-hawk colored the next time he came in.
'Kipley's owners have been wonderful customers for years.
I decided to go ahead and color the mo-hawk for them.



He has been green for St. Patrick's Day.

He has been blue for the New York Yankees.








I used Blow Pens for both the blue and green.
The Blow Pens work really well on his hair color and hair texture.



The last time they came in, they wanted purple for the Baltimore Ravens.
I did not have any purple Blow Pens, I don't think they make purple Blow Pens.

I decided to try sidewalk chalk.
Sidewalk chalk works great on white dogs.
It looks really nice on ears and tails.

I was not sure how it was going to work on 'Kipleys' color and texture of hair.
When using chalk to color hair, I usually let the stick of chalk soak in a cup of warm water for 5 or 10 minutes, then rub it into the dogs hair.

This did not work on 'Kipley'.
His hair texture just would not grab the chalk.
So I tried a different way.





I soaked the chalk as usual.





Then I took an old pair of scissors and scraped off a fair amount of wet chalk.






I added a little water, trying to make a thick paste.






I then took a pinch of the paste and worked it into the hair.






This was much more time consuming then using the Blow Pens, or just using the chalk stick.






I let the wet chalk sit for awhile to help set the color.
I was worried that when I started to blow dry the chalk, it would all blow right off of his texture of hair and leave no color behind.

I dried his mo-hawk on the lowest setting and very carefully.
The color came out very light.
Cocker hair does not hold chalk color very well.
I sprayed the mo-hawk with a little hair spray in hopes that it would help the color to stay awhile.

The owners were tickled 'purple'. :)
I let them know that this color may not stay as long as the Blow Pens.
I will ask them how long the color lasted when they come in for 'Kipley's' next appointment.

Happy Grooming, MFF


EmoticonEmoticon